Part IV Cloze (15 minutes, 15 points, 1for each)
Directions: In this part, there is a passage with 15 blanks. For each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer for each blank and mark the corresponding letter with a single bar across the square brackets on your machine-scoring ANSWER SHEET.
Why do kids hate Brussels sprouts (芽甘蓝)? Because Brussels sprouts are bitter, and kids generally don’t like bitter tastes. But it’s not their 61______ . Researchers say that a dislike for bitter and sour is a survival instinct, since most toxic substances 62______ that way too. On the other hand, sweetness typically indicates that something is 63______ to eat, so children are born with a
64 ______for sweets.
What we like to eat changes over time. As we age, we realize that 65______ something tastes bitter or sour, it won’t kill us, and we learn to 66 ______. When we’re older, we 67______ some of our smell sensitivity. Humans need smell to experience flavor, which is different from taste. With our senses diminished, we’ll probably begin 68______ sugar and salt to our food, to heighten the flavor. 69______ , there’s a theory that the reason many especially “big”-tasting wines in recent years have won awards is that wine critics are getting older and finding subtle flavors 70______ to sense.
If someone is 71______ to detect flavors at all, he may have a taste 72______ , which can be caused by a tongue injury or brain damage. Or it could be a problem with 73______ . The channel that separates the mouth from the nose allows us to smell behind our nose and is 74______ enjoying most complex flavors. That’s why food seems 75 ______when we have a stuffy nose―expect chicken noodle soup. It’s so salty.
61. A. fault B. choice C. habit D. regret
62. A. feel B. look C. sound D. taste
63. A. strange B. necessary C. safe D. ready
64. A. capacity B. preference C. awareness D. consideration
65. A. now that B. in case C. if only D. even though
66. A. enjoy B. improve C. treat D. alter
67. A. form B. lose C. reduce D. gain
68. A. putting B. balancing C. adding D. limiting
69. A. In essence B. In conclusion C. In fact D. In short
70. A. softer B. nicer C. worse D. harder
71. A. unlikely B. unable C. impossible D. improbable
72. A. disorder B. symptom C. therapy D. illusion
73. A. mood B. taste C. flavor D. smell
74. A. subject to B. liable to C. crucial for D. beneficial for
75. A. delicious B. flavorless C. bitter D. smelly